Siler City Club
About the Siler City Club
Initially part of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Eastern Piedmont, the Western Chatham Boys & Girls Club in Siler City first acquired its charter in 2010. In 2012, the Western Chatham Boys & Girls Club Advisory Board began conversations with Chatham County schools regarding the empty Paul Braxton School. A lease agreement was made and a capital campaign began to raise the funds needed to renovate the school. In June of 2013, the Western Chatham Boys & Girls Club opened as the Siler City Club in its new location at 126 S. 6th Avenue, Siler City.
The Boys & Girls Club is named in honor of the Wren family of Siler City. The Wren family were the proprietors of Siler City Mills and were a significant part of the founding of The Chatham Bank, which operated in Siler City from 1901 until it merged with First Union National Bank of North Carolina in 1961.
In October 2016, the Boys & Girls Clubs of Eastern Piedmont and the Boys & Girls Clubs of Sanford/Lee County merged to become Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Carolina. Soon after the merger, plans and actions to expand and renovate the unused wing of the school building began.
The Club Today
Today, the Siler City Club utilizes the entire building to serve 100 children per day during the academic year and all summer. The expansion includes a games room, program rooms for teens, new restrooms, a weight-lifting room, and, as of fall 2019, a kitchen and dining room is being constructed. In addition to Boys & Girls Clubs programs, the Club and its staff will serve meals to children every evening after school and twice per day all summer long. Once all construction is complete, the Siler City Club is projected to serve up to 150 kids per day year-round.
2:30-5:30 pm, M-F
Teacher Workdays and Summer
7:30 am-5:30 pm, M-F